Terms & Conditions of Purchase & Carriage
Tickets are limited as endorsed and are non-transferable. The unauthorized resale of Maritime Bus tickets is strictly prohibited and will be prosecuted. No reservations are accepted unless expressly stated otherwise. Tickets are valid ONLY for the schedule, date and time for which purchased. Maritime Bus is not responsible for lost or stolen tickets. Maritime Bus will accept single-sided paper tickets only or e-tickets along with an appropriate ID to gain access for boarding. Student fares will require support of a valid Student ID at time of purchase or boarding. All Maritime Bus tickets are NON-REFUNDABLE.
Stop locations designated as Flag Stops require 3 hour advance purchase online to guarantee pickup or must be made by contacting the Maritime Bus Info center at 1.800.575.1807
Stop locations used for Halifax Airport Express shuttle service require passengers to make purchases a minimum 35 minutes before departure. Passenger pickup will occur between a range of the listed time and up to 10 minutes after.
Fares, Fees, and Itinerary Changes
Maritime Bus fares are only valid for the schedule, date and time for which quoted. All Maritime Bus fares may be subject to additional fees and taxes. All Maritime Bus transactions are subject to a transaction fee. Maritime Bus reserves the right to apply a fuel-surcharge on a per fare basis, in accordance with regulatory approval, reviewed quarterly. Requests of cancellation or alterations to purchased Maritime Bus tickets will result in a credit of the full fare plus applicable taxes and fees less 15% service fee. Alterations or changes to round trip passengers fares will result in the one-way fare being charged. Requests or changes must be made prior to the original travel date, schedule and time; otherwise , the ticket will be null and void. All fares are payable in Canadian dollars.
All Maritime Bus tickets are NON-REFUNDABLE. Maritime Bus tickets will hold no value and will be considered expired once the scheduled departure, date and time have passed. Any passenger violating the Maritime Bus Passenger Code of Conduct or Baggage Liability, forfeit their right to any refund.
Maritime Bus DOES NOT GRANT ANY REFUNDS from third party Maritime Bus Agencies.
Any requests for a Maritime Bus ticket refund, suggesting EXTRAORDINARY CIRCUMSTANCE, can be forwarded to the Maritime Bus claims department as outlined under the Refund Policy.
Maritime Bus schedules are subject to change. Maritime Bus may substitute alternate carrier or means of transportation. Maritime Bus will not be held liable for delays caused by accidents, breakdowns, traffic, weather conditions or any other condition deemed beyond the control of Maritime Bus. Maritime Bus does not guarantee specific arrival and departure times. The times which appear in print or via maritimebus.com do not constitute guarantees, however Maritime Bus makes every effort to maintain the outlined departure and arrival times. Maritime Bus is not and cannot be held liable for any inconvenience or additional expense incurred by the passenger in the event of travel delays. Passengers are required to arrive at the departing location a minimum of 10 minutes prior to departure time. Maritime Bus recommends arrival to departing locations 30 minutes before departure time.
Limitation Of Liability To Connecting Services
Maritime Bus accepts no liability for passengers who book with connecting services, not providing adequate connection time. Maritime Bus acknowledges guidelines posted for recommend arrival times of connecting services for airport, train and ferry arrival times. Maritime Bus will only be responsible for transportation on its own lines in accordance with its tariff rules and regulations. Maritime Bus assumes no responsibility for any acts of omissions of another party or interline carrier. Maritime Bus will not be liable for damages of loss, damage, or delay of interline carriers.
Maritime Bus provides carriage 2 pieces of baggage at no cost. Baggage liability for lost or damaged baggage is limited to the actual value to a maximum of $100 per passenger fare. Baggage liability is not based on baggage quantity. Maritime Bus has the right to refuse certain baggage and prohibited items as outlined in the Baggage Policy. Maritime Bus cannot be held liable for unchecked baggage, or baggage that does not meet the Maritime Bus Baggage Policy. All checked baggage must be properly marked with a Maritime Bus baggage tag, including the passengers name, end destination and contact information. Baggage claims for loss or damage must be supported by providing baggage tag receipt, which is the removable bottom half of a Maritime Bus baggage tag. Maritime Bus reserves the right to inspect and open checked baggage. Please follow the below links for further details:
Traveling With Mobility Devices
Passengers traveling with Maritime Bus which require the use of a wheelchair or scooter are required to notify Maritime Bus 72 hours in advance. Please contact a Maritime Bus Customer Service Agent by phone at 1.800.575.1807.
Traveling With Animals
Maritime Bus is unable to provide carriage of animals, with the exception of trained service animals. Passengers traveling with certified service animals are responsible for the animal and are required to have the animal under control at all times (harnessed, leashed or carrier). Maritime Bus reserves the right to refuse travel to any service animal which may pose a direct threat to the safety of any other Maritime Bus passenger and who do not have certification card information. Please notify one of our Maritime Bus staff that assistance may be required during your travels.
Maritime Bus prohibits smoking on all buses in accordance with Federal law. Furthermore, the use of electronic simulated smoking materials, e-cigarettes, and smokeless cigarettes, is also prohibited. All passengers commit to adhering to our Passenger Code of Conduct while onboard.
- Maritime Bus will not be held liable for delays caused by accidents, breakdowns, traffic, weather conditions, or any other condition beyond the control of Maritime Bus.
- Maritime Bus does not guarantee specific arrival and departure times. These specific times which appear in print or on the website maritimebus.com do not constitute guarantees. Maritime Bus makes every effort to maintain the outlined departure and arrival times. Maritime Bus is not and cannot be held liable for any inconvenience or additional expense incurred by the passenger in the event of delays.
- Schedules and services are subject to change without notice. Maritime Bus may substitute alternate Carrier’s or means of transportation.
- Tickets sold are non-transferable and, if presented for passage by any person other than the one named on the ticket, may become void and confiscated by an authorized Maritime Bus employee/agent.
- Maritime Bus is not liable for expenses incurred due to delays which cause missed connections with connecting services such as AIRLINES, BUS SERVICES, FERRY SERVICES OR TRAINS. Maritime Bus will not incur any expense due to travel delays.
- Maritime Bus accepts no liability for passengers who book with connecting services not providing adequate connection time. Maritime Bus recommends adhering to guidelines posted for recommended arrival times of connecting services.
- Maritime Bus accepts no liability for passengers who do not comply with the Maritime Bus "Passenger Code Of Conduct" or "Baggage Policy". Any passenger who violates the aforementioned code of conduct or baggage policy waives their right to a refund.
- Maritime Bus will only be responsible for transportation on its own lines in accordance with its tariff rules and regulations. Maritime Bus assumes no responsibility for any acts or omissions of another party or Interline carrier.
Passenger Code of Conduct
- Alcohol, illegal drugs, and unruly behaviour: Maritime Bus has a ZERO tolerance policy for consuming alcohol, illegal drugs, weapons, and unruly behavior on the bus. Smoking is prohibited on Maritime Bus in accordance with Federal law.
- Mobile and electronic devices: Mobile and electronic devices are ever present in today’s world. If you decide to take the time while traveling to listen to music, play games, or watch a movie on your handheld device, we encourage you to use headphones and keep the volume to a reasonable level. The same can be said if you need to answer a call and chat.
- Food and refreshments: While Maritime Bus does not provide food and refreshments on board, passengers are permitted to take and enjoy their own food with them. All we ask is that you respect the bus and help keep them clean and tidy! Avoid any spills and look for the trash bins on board or take your trash with you when getting off.
Terms and Conditions of Purchase and Carriage
(including guaranteed service refunds)
- As a condition precedent to recovery, claims must be made in writing to the originating or delivering Carrier within thirty (30) days after date of shipment. Claims not filed within the time limits specified will not be honoured.
- Claims for concealed loss or damage shall be reported in writing to the delivering Carrier at the destination within fifteen (15) days after delivery of the shipment, and the Carrier shall be given the privilege of making an inspection of the shipment in its original container and internal packing.
- Suits or actions at law to enforce a claim shall be instituted only within two years and one day after the date notice in writing is given by the Carrier to the claimant that the claim or any part or parts thereof have been disallowed by the Carrier.
- Statements of claim should give the number of the waybill, the date of the shipment, the names and addresses of the consignor and consignee, the nature and description of the shipment and the nature and description of the damage complained of. The original waybill and a copy of the original invoice showing the value of the merchandise lost or damaged should accompany statements of claim. If a copy of the original invoice is not available a notarized statement attesting to the cost of the merchandise, at the time of the original purchase, is required.
Misrepresentation – If a person applying for insurance falsely describes the property to the prejudice of the insurer or misrepresents or fraudulently omits to communicate any circumstance that is material to be made known to the insurer in order to enable it to judge of the risk to be undertaken, the contract is void as to any property in relation to which the misrepresentation or omission is material.
Fraud – Any fraud or willfully false statement in a statutory declaration in relation to any of the above particulars, violates the claim of the person making the declaration.
Transportation Charges – No claim shall be honored or entertained until all transportation charges covering the shipment in question are paid in full. Such cost if not paid may be deducted from the settlement of such claim.
Shipper’s Risk Articles
- Packages or Shipments which contain the following commodities, articles, materials or substances, will be accepted for transportation ONLY at the Shipper’s Risk:
- Animal Heads for the purpose of medical testing ONLY. When properly contained and not regulated by Transportation of Dangerous (TDG) regulations.
- Articles having extraordinary value
- Bait, Live (Earth worms & Maggots) Properly packaged to insure containment.
- Flowers, Live Plants
- Fluorescent Tubes, Light Bulbs, Signs
- Fragile Articles which are insufficiently packaged/labelled
- Irreplaceable items and documents
- Perishable shipments (Meat/Products, Eggs, Fish, Food, Raw Furs)
- The Participating Carriers will not accept or transport any article, material, or substance, the possession of which, or the transportation of which is unlawful
- Participating Carriers will NOT accept or transport Express Shipments which, because of character, size or weight, are obnoxious to Passengers, or which are likely to be, or to become, objectionable to Passengers or prospective passengers or which are liable to cause injury to personnel, or to Baggage, other Shipments or the Company’s equipment.
- Except as otherwise specifically provided herein, Packages or Shipments which contain the following commodities, articles, materials, or substances, will NOT be accepted for transportation:
- Alcoholic Beverages
- Animals, Birds (ie Baby Chicks), Insects (ie Bees) and Reptiles – Live
- Batteries, Electric Storage, wet (Containing Electrolyte Acid or Other Alkaline corrosive battery fluid)
- Batteries, Lithium and Lithium Ion (Both rechargeable and non-rechargeable)
- Corpses (Human or Animal)
- Dangerous Goods subject to the Transportation of Dangerous Goods TDG regulations except limited quantity and exemptions in compliance with TDG regulations.
- Equipment or Items containing Gasoline, Diesel, or other flammable liquids including residues, ie generators, mowers, chainsaws.
- Firearms, including Rifles, Shotguns and Restricted Weapons.
- Materials having disagreeable odour
- Securities (Negotiable)
- Tobacco, inter-provincial (i.e. across provincial boundaries)
Packing, Marking, Labeling and Conditions of Acceptance
The Company will not accept shipments for transportation which do not comply with or meet the requirements detailed below.
- All shipments must be packed in containers made of material strength, durability and quality sufficient to withstand the normal course of handling both manually and by automated means. Packaging must also be able to sustain stacking and movement during the normal course of transport via motor coach, pup trailer, tractor trailer, pick up and delivery vehicle, aircraft and any associated ground handling equipment and load devices. Internal packaging should be adequate to hold the contents in place to further safeguard the shipment during transport. Packaging is to be secured with proper shipping tape noting that string or twine should not be used as a means to secure the package. Brown paper wrap or gift wrap is not acceptable due to the possibility of the wrap becoming removed in transit thereby removing all shipment information. Shipper warrants the containers used will comply with these requirements to the extent that they will afford safe handling, reasonable and proper protection of contents and protection against damage to other shipments. Shippers may be liable for damage howsoever caused by their failure to comply with these requirements. The name and address of the consignee (receiver) and consignor (shipper) including telephone numbers with area code and all shipping instructions must be clearly and legibly shown on all packages of the shipment in addition to the waybill.
- The contents and/or nature of shipments must be identified by the shipper prior to shipment and must be described on waybill detail sufficient to enable the Carriers to ascertain:
- That the shipment, in whole and in part, is acceptable in Package Express service and does not contain Regulated Dangerous Goods.
- That the shipment meets the packing and marking requirements specified herein.
- The amount of the lawful rates and charges applying.
- Carriers reserve the right to open and inspect all packages tendered for shipment.
- The contents of the shipment must be destined to the consignee shown on the shipping label. Shipments containing letters, documents, or other parcels which are all assigned to different consignees and are all included in one container will be accepted only if the shipper pays full tariff for each parcel, unless otherwise specifically agreed upon in advance.
- Participating Carriers reserve the right to open and inspect shipments where necessary, to verify the description of contents shown on the waybill, and in the event the contents are found to be incorrectly described, charges will be collected on the basis of the proper description. Shipments will NOT be accepted for transport if inspection is refused.
- All packages containing fragile or perishable articles must be clearly marked “Fragile” or “Perishable” by the consignor.
- Perishables: Packages or Shipments which contain commodities, articles, materials or substances, that are perishable will be accepted for transportation ONLY at the Shipper’s Risk. All perishable product will move at Priority Service Pricing.
- Parcels will be held by Maritime Bus for a maximum of 15 days.
- Except as otherwise specifically provided herein, the following articles, materials, or substances may be accepted for transportation only when packed, marked and labeled as prescribed and only under the conditions described:
Automotive parts – Exhaust Systems, curved-subject to space availability.
Bicycles – Must be dismantled and packed in carton or bike bag (bicycle bags available for purchase from Maritime Bus locations).
Computers / electronics equipment – Loss only coverage unless equipment is new in FACTORY SEALED packaging.
Glass shipments – product that is ceramic, glass or contains glass cannot be insured for damage but for loss only.
Liquids – Containers must be securely capped, sealed or otherwise closed to prevent possible leakage. The outside box or container must have orientation marking/labels affixed. Any articles packed in wet ice, or water must be packed in sealed, leak proof plastic pouches and contained, in turn, in sealed containers.
Paint – Containers must be tightly and securely sealed utilizing lid clips and packed in outside boxes of adequate strength and durability and must have orientation markings/labels affixed.
Phone Cards, Tickets, Gift Cards, and Similar. Maritime Bus’s liability for a shipment containing a phone card, gift card, ticket (for example a ticket to an event or a ticket for a plane flight) , gift certificate, coupon, or other similar printed matter with an exchange value is limited to the cost (which shall not include any amount of the value attached to the card, certificate, or coupon, or similar printed matter) of replacing the physical card(s) , certificate(s) or printed matter, not to exceed $100 ( One Hundred dollars) per package. In no event shall Maritime Bus be liable for the face value of any phone card, ticket, gift certificate, gift card, coupon or similar printed matter.
Tires – Tires will be accepted for transportation unwrapped. Any type tire that will leave marking or otherwise damage other Express or baggage will be accepted for transportation only when wrapped in heavy paper or other protective material.
Used Items – Products being shipped that are used cannot be insured for damage but for loss only. This includes, but is not limited to; machinery, auto and agriculture parts, auto body parts, electronic equipment including computers and components and tools.
Shipments must meet Maritime Bus’s packaging requirements as detailed in the “Packaging, Marking, Labeling and Conditions of Acceptance” section of Maritime Bus’s “Terms and Conditions”. Maritime Bus reserves the right to open and inspect shipments at any time.